Sunday, September 7, 2008

Pompidou!

!!Understatement Warning!!

Classic beauty abounds in Paris.

There, I said it. The architecture, the art, the parks, the food, etc, etc, etc. So of course, there has to be an opposition or reaction ... a ying for that yang, no? I'm not talking about ugliness as a response to beauty. I'm talking about alternative beauty as a reaction to classic beauty. The leading voice in that chorus is the Centre Pompidou. We went yesterday with Aaron and Taraji who are staying with us ...















An architectural installation from Dominique Perrault ...











































The evil nanny state sends another four poor souls to hell ...















Taraji entertains the locals with a Jerry Lewis homage ...















Aaron embeds himself in a mixed medium work ...















Alternative beauty ...
































































I really liked this one ...


































Philippe Starck ...































































Budda's entrails consumed by vultures?















11 comments:

JBlog said...

*Punches Craig squarely in the chest*

GIMME YOUR LUNCH MONEY!

Craig Bob said...

huh?

Zeke said...

Aw... in other words, once one moves to France and becomes enchanted with art, he and his lunch money are vulnerable to alpha male Republicans.

Just keep some hot dog links around in case of attack. That will usually distract them.

JBlog said...

I don't mind you enjoying the art in Paris.

But if you're gonna act all girly about it, you shouldn't be surprised if you get drilled.

Scott said...

Drill, baby, drill -- it still comes back to Repubbing.

Craig Bob said...

Let me tell you a little story. It's a story of a young man in a small town on the Hudson River. And while he may have lived in a small town - he dreamed big; oh yes he did! He dreamed dreams of artistic pursuits in the creative fields of rhetoric and the bass guitar. He was even known to exercise his skills in the theatre arts. And then ... something happened. Something that hardened his soul and turned his heart toward cold, commercial pursuits like public relations and lawn care.

What happened to that young man and his dreams of art?

JBlog said...

I'm still actively involved in the arts -- I'm just not all gushy and girly about it.

I think that high-flying, Paris living is making you soft, bro. Go see a movie with a car chase, or an airborne assault, or a bank heist or something in it, will ya?

"Drill, baby, drill -- it still comes back to Repubbing."

Oh yeah? And just exactly how did YOU get to work today?

Cheyenna said...

That museum was my favorite of my whole trip. Pretty sure I'm gonna have to come visit next summer and re-go.

Craig Bob said...

J- you recommend Tropical Thunder for my rehab?

C- here's aaaaallll this space with just me and Lolly rattling around in it. Translation: get the hell over here!

JBlog said...

It would be a start.

I'd also suggest a big, meaty hamburger -- I think you can get those in Paris now -- and a cold beer.

Zeke said...

For all of Paris' "fruity" reputation over here in the States, it didn't feel to me that way at all. That attitude's just reflective of our own hangups, I think.