Friday, February 6, 2009

So Basic

So basic ... make up 40 straightforward questions and send a bunch film crews around the world to tape ordinary people answering them. Brilliant.

That's basically the premise of the exposition I saw at Le Grande Palais this evening: 6 millliards d'Autres (6 billion others) by Yann Arthus-Bertrand. They set up dozens of flatscreens in the pavilion, segmented into themes like Fears, Childhood Memories, Love Stories, War, etc. and play back peoples' answers to the 40 questions. "What is your first memory?" "Do you believe in God?" "Do you have enemies? Why?"

It's stretching on so many levels. These are non-celebrities from all over: Chechnya, Iraq, Afghanistan, New Guinea, Rwanda, UK, US, etc. They aren't crisp, polished, or brief. But they're honest and compelling.

I don't know if it's a travelling expo. But if it comes to your town ... go, watch, and listen. And be patient.

4 comments:

Lora said...

sounds facinating. will it be there when i get back?

Craig Bob said...

No, just til Feb 12. Bummer.

JBlog said...

Okay, here goes:
1) My little sister being brought home from the hospital when she was born.

2) Yes, and more importantly he believes in me.

3) Yes, because they want to kill my children. And they already tried once.

You got the other 37 questions?

Evan Rosa said...

And maybe, in some paradoxical way, the "crisp, polished, or brief" is exactly NOT "honest and compelling."

Here's to blurred, hazy, long-winded conversation.

To get the ball rolling:

1) Chasing a rogue basketball down a hill with my mom. I must have been 1.5.
2) Yup. I wonder about knowing him too...
3) Yup. The clock. It hurries me along.