Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Walking City

They say Paris is a walking city. I think that's a fair assessment. The heat broke this weekend and that coincided with a visit from Doug, Shelley, and Michon Pagitt. So we carbed up in the morning and then headed out. Here's the resulting photo safari ...

The Pagitts at St Sulpice. I can't think too much about the philosophy and economics behind these old, over-the-top cathedrals. It just frustrates me. But if I just focus on the art then all is well in the world.



















Place St Michel















A Hitchcockian moment outside Notre Dame:















Inside Notre Dame:















The Louvre. This dude tried to grab my camera but, being made of stone, I was much quicker than him ... even one day shy of my 46th birthday.















Attitude















Fun with a macro!














Weirdness.















Oh so spiritual.















The crowd around Mona Lisa. Yes, that postage stamp-sized thing in the center is her.















Sculptures and perspective.
























































I thought of various captions for this one but in the end I abandoned them all ...















More macro-mania



















Thomas Jefferson near the Seine in the 7th:



















Commemorating France's turn in the EU Presidency ...















And after all the walking, a Metro ride home.

7 comments:

JBlog said...

"They say Paris is a walking city."

The fact that gasoline costs about eight bucks a gallon there might have something to do with that.

Craig Bob said...

True enough!

JBlog said...

Maybe the French should invade a country that has oil.

Craig Bob said...

Well sure - that's proven to be a winning strategy in the past!

Turns out France isn't as dependent on oil as I would have thought. 80% of the power here is nuclear. And I've begun working on the design principles for retrofitting a nuclear submarine reactor for an Escalade.

Zeke said...

Would you call it "Monsieur Fusion"?

Craig Bob said...

No - I can't wait for cold fusion. Plus, I would want to be able to sell one to Governer Schwarzenegger so I was considering "The Fissionator."

JBlog said...

"And I've begun working on the design principles for retrofitting a nuclear submarine reactor for an Escalade."

I think the professor guy did that in "Back to the Future" -- 'cept it was a DeLorean.

http://journeyhomeburke.files.
wordpress.com/2007/08/mr-fusion.jpg